Pages

Monday, September 21, 2009

Getting groovy with grains

Pardon the alliteration, I just couldn't resist. Check out this slideshow at FitSugar about some different grains that can be included in a healthy diet. I have experimented quite a bit with quinoa (and love it), and tried out millet and bulgar a few times. I will try to post some good recipes with these in the future. Quinoa in particular is GREAT for vegetarian meals; according to nutritiondata.com 1 cup of cooked quinoa has 222 calories, 8 g of protein, 5 g of dietary fiberand 15% daily value of iron. In addition, it is considered a "complete protein" meaning it provides all of the amino acids our bodies need.

I have not yet done anything with farro, but I look forward to trying it out. I will share something yummy with you when I do! There has not been much cooking going on my kitchen recently because we had company for the Jewish holiday, Rosh Hashanah, and chose to go the easy route and get kosher catering. So it's been mostly heat-and-eat the last few days, a nice break! But more veg makeovers soon to come, I promise!

Meanwhile, click over to Heidi at 101Cookbooks.com and check out her awesome sounding quinoa recipes. You can bet this one will be on my table in the near future! You can find more of her recipes using quinoa in various ways by scrolling down to the ingredient topics on the left, she has one dedicated to quinoa.

No comments:

Post a Comment